**Gift Card has been provided for posting purposes, all opinions are my own**
When it comes to Valentine’s treats, I think of chocolate and candy. Which are two things I love and are, in fact, two of the treats that will be featured in today’s post. However, why not start the day off, or end it, a little out of the norm this Valentine’s Day. We all love to get candy and or chocolate on Valentine’s, but I prefer to do a little something more home made.
I want to start with a fun breakfast idea that is a pretty healthy treat, to surprise your kiddos with this Valentine’s day. Can you tell what they are? Yes they are grilled something or other!
For breakfast my kids like to have something sweet and/or savory. With the heart shaped grilled cheese sandwich and the heart shape grilled Nutella sandwich, they can have both. After picking up my supplies, for everything featured in todays post, at Winn Dixie, I decided this love day will be filled with hearts. They will be waking up to a classic (grilled cheese) and a favorite (grilled Nutella) with a fun Valentine’s Day theme..the hearts of course.
- Your favorite bread
- Sliced Cheese
- Butter (at room temperature)
- Take 2 slices of bread and add either the sliced cheese OR Nutella in between
- Use heart shaped cookie cutter to create heart shape (or XO cutters are cute too)
- Spray frying pan with PAM and heat over medium heat
- Butter one side of bread and lay butter side down in pan.
- As it cooks butter other side of bread.
- Flip and cook until cheese (or Nutella) is melted and the bread is golden.
- Remove and enjoy!
The kids will love waking up to these tasty treats this Valentine’s day, and the best part is, they are super simple to make! Check out how cute our heart grilled cheese sandwiches came out!
We can’t forget about the mini-heart grilled Nutella sandwich. My oldest son is a big fan of Nutella, but he has never had it grilled…he never knew what he was missing. I let him be my tester the day I made these and he was VERY impressed…I have a feeling my little secret is going to be a new thing in the house with him!
Now, when you want to stick with the traditional chocolate treats, I have two that are super quick and easy, and tasty of course. You can do these once the kids leave for school, and they will be waiting for them upon their return! What are they? How about I show you first, then give the recipe for these!
Chocolate dipped strawberries, chocolate dipped pretzels, and white chocolate dipped pretzels. The hardest part of both of these recipes is melting the chocolate…but that’s only because I am impatient.
- Pretzel Rods
- Winn Dixie Semi-Sweet Morsels
- Candy Pearls
- Vegetable Oil
- Pour ½ the bag of morsels into a microwaveable bowl
- Add 1 tsp Vegetable Oil
- Heat in 30 second increments until melted and smooth
- Dip pretzel rods and strawberries ¾ of the way into the chocolate (or use spatula to smooth over)
- Add topping (cayenne is a great kick, kids love sprinkles)
- To dry pretzel rods I used a cooling rack, it worked perfectly
- Lay Strawberries on wax paper.
- Allow to cool completely, transfer to fridge to let chocolate harden
For the white chocolate pretzels, you can follow the same recipe above, but switch out the semi-sweet morsels for white chocolate morsels. I chose to go an easier route (and have less dirty dishes) and picked up the Dolci Frutti white chocolate shell. It works great and you can heat it right in the container. Whichever you choose to do, you will have some happy little campers on your hand when they get home from school, and are surprised with even more Valentine’s Day treats.
If you want, you can wait until the kids are home, and let them have a hand in making these, they will have a blast! The pretzels and strawberries, also make great Valentine’s gift ideas for teachers, co-workers, friends, and family. So, this Valentine’s Day, have fun and don’t stress. These quick & easy snack ideas are going to be just perfect for themed fun and tasty goodness!
What are some of your favorite Valentine’s Day treats?
Latest posts by Toni Patton (see all)
- Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salsa Recipe - June 21, 2016
- Otterbox Universe Case System at Best Buy! One Case. Endless Possibilities - June 18, 2016
- Finding Dory Inspired Summer Treats + A Prize Pack Giveaway - June 17, 2016