May 5 is fast approaching which means a lot of Cinco de Mayo celebrations will be going on. When you are preparing for your Cinco de Mayo get together why not have some themed food. Check out this recipe that was sent to me, with permission to share, for Arroz con Pollo Mole by celebrity chef George Duran.
- 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seed
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. mild chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- 2 tsp. salt
- 6 chicken thighs, skin removed
- ½ C. flour
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 red pepper, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 C. rice, uncooked
- 2 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 6 C. chicken stock
- Curly parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- Mix first 6 ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Dust chicken thighs with flour and season with salt and pepper. Heat vegetable oil in your IMUSA Non-Stick Caldero on medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned, about 3-5 minutes on each side. Set aside.
- Lower heat to medium and cook bacon until slightly browned. Add onions, red peppers and garlic and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice, tomato paste, chocolate and dry spices and mix. Add chicken stock and mix again. Allow to come to a simmer, cover and turn heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Uncover, and gently mix rice and add chicken thighs on top. Cover and continue simmering for 20-25 more minutes until thighs and rice are cooked. If needed, add more stock or water until rice is done.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving with finely chopped parsley.
Doesn’t that look and sound delish! I think I shall head to the store and pick up the ingredients to try it myself, not on Cinco de Mayo due to a busy schedule, but sometime in the near future. Let me know if you make it and how it turns out.
**Photo and recipe have been provided with permission to use from 5wPR**