I had the chance go on the Backstage Tales Tour at Disney’s Animal Kingdom as part of the Monkey Kingdom event. All opinions are my own!
Backstage Tales Tour
Have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes at Disney’s Animal Kingdom? Thanks to the Backstage Tales Tour, now you can find out! The Backstage Tales Tour is a great way to really talk to the people who are behind taking care of the beautiful animals you see when you visit the park.
When I was growing up I wanted to be a veterinarian and as I went on the tour, I realized this would be perfect for other kids who have that same dream. The tour lasts about 3 hours and 45 minutes and is filled with so much info, you will see just how much goes into caring for the animals. You get to see animal housing, the vet facilities (and maybe even a surgery), and the nutrition center. Did you know they server FOUR TONS of food per day to the 250 species of animals in Animal Kingdom! They even have special recipes for each animal depending on the animals needs. Can you imagine making a different recipe for each of your kids! Now imagine that times 250!
You will learn how Disney promotes conservation and perform animal behavioral studies, even how they care for the animals. Imagine trying to clean the feet and toes of a HUGE elephant! During the tour, you will visit the Animal Programs Administration building and learn how Disney promotes global wildlife conservation and animal well-being! I love that we not only had the chance to see the animals and how they are cared for, but how we can give back to keep wildlife conservation possible.
Our tour even stopped and had a fun little animal themed snack (not sure if this is on all tours) that you can’t get at any park. I almost didn’t want to eat it…almost! The backstage tales tour is perfect for getting a behind the scenes look at what goes on at Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The employees who care for the animals and even the guides have such a passion for their work, you know that these animals and all that pass through are in great hands!
What to know before you go:
- Price is $90 per person (plus tax)
- You will be behind the scenes. Sometimes you will get interaction, but it’s not guaranteed.
- The tour is outdoors, so be sure to check the weather and dress appropriately. It gets super hot in the summer and central florida is known for it’s random rain storms! Don’t forget to wear comfortable shoes!
- No cameras, video equipment or cell phones may be used while backstage. Be sure to bring your camera, because photography is allowed and encouraged in certain area. Don’t worry the guides will let you know when you can take photos
- Backstage Tours is for those 12 and older. However, guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a participating adult (18 years of age or older).
- To check in you head to Animal Kingdom’s main entrance, 15 minutes prior to your start time.
- Tour itinerary, content, duration and availability are subject to change without notice.
- The tour is offered Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday at 8:30am and 1pm. Reservations can be made at 407-939-8687.
- Be sure to cancel 3 days or more before your scheduled date, or you will forfeit your money.
Because I was at the Backstage Tales Tour, as part of the Monkey Kingdom event, I want to encourage you to head to theaters to see Monkey Kingdom. In fact, if you see Monkey Kingdom TODAY, they will donate on your behalf! It’s playing nationwide, so it’s a great time to go see an awesome movie, see my review here, and give back! Get to know Maya and Kip in the trailer:
Life is an adventure for Maya, the clever and resourceful blonde-bobbed monkey in “Monkey Kingdom,” Disneynature’s new feature film set among ancient ruins in the storied jungles of South Asia. Maya’s world is forever changed when she welcomes her son, Kip, into her complicated extended family. Like all families, Maya’s has more than its share of colorful personalities—and she’s determined to give her son a leg up in the world. When their longtime home at Castle Rock is taken over by powerful neighboring monkeys, Maya’s whole family is forced to relocate, where she uses her street smarts and ingenuity to lead them to untapped resources amidst strange new creatures and unsettling surroundings. Ultimately, they will all have to work together to reclaim Castle Rock, where Maya can hopefully realize her dreams for her son’s future. Featuring a rich cast of characters, including a mischievous mongoose, simple-minded langur monkeys, predatory leopards and monitor lizards, “Monkey Kingdom” is directed by Mark Linfield (“Chimpanzee,” “Earth”) and co-directed by Alastair Fothergill (“Chimpanzee,” “Bears”). With music from award-winning composer Harry Gregson-Williams (“The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe,” “Shrek” movies), Disneynature’s eighth True Life Adventure—the follow-up to 2014’s “Bears”
Latest posts by Toni Patton (see all)
- What’s Your Heart Attitude? - March 28, 2017
- Potty Training Must Haves + What Is The Right Time to Potty Train? - March 23, 2017
- Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen Wants Us All To Inspire Goodness + $50 Gift Card Giveaway - March 21, 2017