Recently I made a whole roasted chicken recipe. Having not made many (or only one if I am being completely honest), whole roasted chicken recipes before in my life, I was a little intimidated. It’s so easy to dry the chicken out and that in turn leaves much to be desired when you go to eat dinner, am I right? However, this time I rocked it out in the kitchen and had, what I claim to be…THE BEST WHOLE ROASTED CHICKEN RECIPE EVAH!!
Seriously, it was so good. I have picky kids and they even loved it. The issues I have had in the past when cooking a whole roasted chicken is I either dried it out or the skin was not crispy. Both of those chicken disasters make this momma not want to eat the chicken (and what a sad thing to waste a whole roasted chicken). Thankfully the kitchen Gods smiled down on me and when I tried my hand at an easy whole roasted chicken recipe, I had crispy skin and a chicken that was moist (even the breast, which is usually the dry meat). So, today, I am sharing with you the best whole roasted chicken recipe I used in hopes you will brave a whole chicken! This recipe is from the McCormick Recipe Inspiration kit, but I adjusted the recipe to make a whole roasted chicken instead of their suggested chicken breasts.
Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe
- Whole Chicken (3-4 lbs)
- 4 white oninos (quartered)
- 2 whole lemons (halved)
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 10 whole garlic cloves
- 8 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. minced garlic cloves
- 6 tsp. dried crushed rosemary leaves
- 8 tsp.Paprika
- Layer onions and 5 garlic cloves in bottom of Pampered Chef Rectangular Baker (or this Rachel Ray Baker works great too)
- Pour chicken stock into baker
- Wash and clean out chicken (removing insides)
- Add the 2 lemons, thyme sprigs, and 5 of the whole garlic cloves to the cavity.
- Lay on top of onions and garlic
- Mix olive oil, black pepper, salt, minced garlic, rosemary leaves, and paprika in a bowl.
- Rub under breast skin of chicken, use generously.
- Rub mixture on outside of whole chicken coating well.
- Bake at 425 for about 1.5 hours (for 4 lb chicken, basting with mixture the last 30 minutes.**
- Make sure juices run clean and internal temp is 180 before removing
- Remove from oven and let cool before cutting to preserve moistness
I am telling you this whole roasted chicken recipe was so good. I, as mentioned, in the past have not had great luck with cooking a whole roasted chicken…the skin was slimy and the inside dry. I don’t know if it was the cookware I used, broth in the pan or what but this was perfectly moist with crispy skin. Basting the outside of the skin during the last half hour of cooking made the skin flavor so yummy! So this roasted chicken recipe was definitely a win and will be a regular meal in our home!
**time may need to be adjusted depending on your oven*
* Originally posted 2/2013, had to move back to top so new readers could try this recipe*
Latest posts by Toni Patton (see all)
- Pensacola Beach’s ‘Bands on the Beach’ 2017 Lineup #Travel - February 21, 2017
- Sick Day Must Haves! #SickJustGotReal #Ad - February 17, 2017
- Easy Cheesy Buffalo Dip Recipe - February 15, 2017