I have to admit the season for stuffing my face is here. The food around the holidays and the comfort food on cold nights can be super yummy but most likely not that healthy. This recipe is one of my favorites and I don’t feel guilty when I lick the bowl clean.
The few simple main ingredients are very healthy for you. For me, it is hard to come across a healthy meal that can hit the spot. While this is not a zero calorie meal, almost all the ingredients have health benefits. So it’s a win/win!
Chicken is a lean and good source of protein. It also contains all the amino acids essential for human health. It also contains vitamin B-6 and B-3 which helps with metabolism and can also aid in weight loss.
Sweet potatoes are an awesome source of beta-carotene which is a precursor to vitamin A. Carotenoids help with eyesight and boost our immunity. They also contain vitamin B-6, C, and D. Iron, potassium and magnesium are other good-for-you minerals that are found in sweet potatoes.
Quinoa non-GMO, Gluten Free and usually grown organically. While it technically isn’t a grain, it still counts as a “whole grain” food. Quinoa is also is high in fibers, protein, vitamins and minerals. This meal is perfect for those fall nights at home or a great dish to take to a potluck!
- 1½ pounds of boneless chicken tenderloins or breast
- 1 cup quinoa
- 4 cups sweet potato chunks
- 1 can black beans (15 oz)
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon cayenne chilli powder
- 1 packet chili season mix (1.25 oz)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- peel and cut the sweet potato into medium size chunks
- combine all the ingredients into the crockpot
- stir evenly
- turn on high for about 5 hours
- make sure chicken is fully cooked and shred in to smaller pieces before serving
What is your favorite healthy meal?