‘Tis True…everybody loves bacon…okay maybe not, but they should. It’s one of the yummiest foods ever and when I was asked to create a recipe for Winn Dixie’s “Everybody Loves Bacon Event” I knew exactly what I was going to make. After we went to our local fair this past October, and indulged in all the typical fair foods, one fair food caught my little eye….Chocolate Covered Bacon. Could two of the most perfect foods (in my personal opinion) be a winning combination. After the first bite, I was hooked, this was a snack I wanted to have on hand for get togethers…think Superbowl Sunday!
So, I decided that is what I was going to make for this post…Chocolate Covered Bacon.
I know you are drooling, well, if you are a bacon and chocolate lover like me you are. The best thing about this recipe, aside from it tasting AMAZING, is it’s so simple. I headed to Winn Dixie to pick up the ingredients I didn’t already have on hand: bacon, chocolate chips, and coconut flakes. At home I already had the vegetable oil and other “extras” (sprinkles and little flowers).
After gathering the ingredients, and exercising every bit of self-control to not fry the bacon up and eat it all, it was time to get started!
- Winn Dixie Thick Sliced Hickory Sweet Bacon
- 2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chip
- “Extras”: Sprinkles, Flowers, Crushed Walnuts, Broken Peanut Butter cups, anything that you think will work
- Pre-Heat oven to 400°
- Place bacon, in whole strips, on a foil liked baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until desired doneness (You want it crispy but not too crispy or it will break easy)
- Remove and place on paper towel to cool.
- Add dark and milk chocolate chips to a bowl, add vegetable oil, stir, and microwave in 30 second increments until melted. *If your chocolate is melting but seems too think, add a little more vegetable oil because it should be smooth*
- Dip bacon in chocolate (though I prefer to use a brush and gently brush it on, for less chance of breaking) and lay on foil
- Add any extras you like and once all are finished move into your refrigerator to set. Then enjoy!
This is such a simple recipe, and easy to make. You can also choose to break the bacon up into smaller pieces if you like. This is fun for kids to make as well. While the younger ones may have a bit too rough of a hand to do the dipping, they will love adding the extras!
This makes a great snack for special occasions and think of those sweet and salty foods you will likely be eating at Superbowl Parties. This is a great combination of both!
While you can take them out of the fridge for enjoying, please note if you leave them out they can get a little soft, so I tend to bring them out while people are eating and put them back in the fridge when they take a break from the food. Chocolate covered bacon is a treat for the tastebuds, if you are like me and crave sweet and salty almost simultaneously then this is one snack you will want to make!
Have you ever had Chocolate Covered Bacon?
Latest posts by Toni Patton (see all)
- Dove Wants To Know, Who Do You Feel Beautiful For? #FeelBeautifulFor #ad - November 21, 2014
- Fergie Talks Motherhood, AMAs, Music, and More #ABCTVEvent - November 21, 2014
- Why You’ll Fall In Love With Disney’s Feast #BigHero6Event - November 20, 2014