Cinco de Mayo is upon us, which means we have lots of delicious foods. Usually several kinds of salsa, some of which aren’t so friendly to our waistline (ahem, creamy Velveeta dip). Thankfully, Executive Chef, Anthony Stewart,at Pritikin Longevity Center + Spa came up with some great ‘skinny’ salsa recipes for us to add to the spread on Cinco de Mayo! I was thrilled when they asked if I would like to share them with my readers, I mean, really, who can ever have enough salsa recipes! I am drooling just looking at the photos and can’t wait to try them all!
4 Easy Salsa Recipes for Cinco de Mayo
Mexi-Creamy Salsa Dip
Looking for a creamy dip, this is one that will be a hit when you want something other than the traditional Velveeta dip.
- 1/2 cup yogurt (plain, nonfat)
- 4 tablespoons sour cream (reduced-fat)
- 1/4 cup green onions finely chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin ground
- 2/3 cup salsa (nonchunky varieties)
Mix by hand all ingredients, except for 1 tablespoon of green onions (which will be used as garnish topping).
- Servings: 4 half-cup servings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms with Black Bean Salsa
Make a double batch of our lively black bean salsa and enjoy in all sorts of ways, for example, as a topping for green salads, poultry, or fish, or blended with whole-grain rice. I personally love the idea of “stuffing” it into artichoke bottoms or even scooped out tomatoes. I bet that would be amazing!
- 1 cup black beans (no salt added) cooked and drained
- 1 cup tomatoes medium-diced
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup red onion finely chopped
- jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic finely chopped
- tablespoons lemon or lime juice freshly squeezed
- tablespoons cilantro or dill (fresh) chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper freshly ground
- 12 artichoke bottoms (look for low-sodium canned and frozen varieties, such as Ruby (canned) and Green Giant (frozen).)
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except artichoke bottoms. Toss salsa well until ingredients are evenly mixed. Chill salsa. Then, fill each artichoke bottom with salsa. Serve as appetizers.
- Servings: 12 people
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
Pico De Gallo
This is definitely a classic for any Cinco de Mayo celebration. I am a HUGE fan of pico de gallo. It’s a great alternative to those salsas that may have a few too many ingredients. It’s simple and it’s great with chips or for topping other foods. Another plus is that it is ready in just a few minutes!
- 2 large tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper finely chopped (remove seeds for a milder salsa)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 2 limes (fresh) juiced
- 1 pinch black peppercorns ground
Mix all ingredients and let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
- Servings: 12
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
For those who like a sweeter salsa, this Tropical salsa recipe is perfect for your Cinco de Mayo celebration (or any other time of the year)! It’s easy, tasty and your guests will beg for more!!
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (no-salt-added )
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- mango peeled and diced
- 1 cup pineapple diced
- 1 cup papaya peeled and diced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 tablespoon oregano (fresh) chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil (fresh) chopped
- Garnish green onions chopped (optional)
- Garnish chives chopped (optional)
- In a small nonstick skillet over low heat, saute red onion, garlic, tomato sauce, and Tabasco until well combined, about 5 minutes. Stir regularly.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently combine remaining ingredients (except garnishes).
- Spoon red onion mixture into bowl, and gently toss all ingredients until combined.
- If desired, garnish with a sprinkling of green onions and/or chives.
- Servings: 12(about 1/4 cup per serving)
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
I hope to try out these four salsa recipes on my Cinco de Mayo celebration because they all look delicious. Which of the four salsa recipes are you looking forward to trying most?
**Thank you to Anthony Stewart and Pritikin Longevity Center + Spa (and 5wpr) for sharing these recipes (and photos) and asking us to share with our readers! We did not mind one bit…it’s definitely left us inspired**
Latest posts by Toni Patton (see all)
- Cheddar’s Scratch Kitchen Wants Us All To Inspire Goodness + $50 Gift Card Giveaway - March 21, 2017
- Raceday Food Ideas To Enjoy During the IMSA Racing Event - March 14, 2017
- Homemade Berry Sorbet - March 13, 2017