Thank you to Disney for covering my flight, lodging, theme park ticket, most meals, and the fun swag…it was a fun birthday month treat. What does that mean for the post…nothing at all, just keeping it real for y’all. All thoughts and opinions are the honest views of the author
Sunday, I left on a jet plane to head to one of my favorite places on earth, Disney. Well, sort of. While I did get some theme park time in, this trip was all about discovering a side of Disney I had never really thought about before. The ESPN Wide World of Sports. Now, I had heard of this place in passing and I had seen in on our trips, but never really gave it a second thought. What a mistake I had been making. During my trip I got to learn so much and participate in my first run Disney event and it’s got me longing for more.
I am not going to go into too much detail in this post but I wanted to share a few photos with you…you know I like to tease a little. Next week, I will have some more in depth posts about the complex (that I will be taking my kids to) and everything else we learned! Check out a few photos from the trip while you wait!
I heard my name and blog announced by a sports caster (which was super cool), got to see soccer teams from around the world, learned about so much that ESPN Wide World of Sports offers, and decided I am going to start joining in Run Disney events. Check out some of these facts about the Disney/ESPN Wide World of Sports:
- ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex, which hosts more than 350 events and 350,000 athletes from more than 70 countries each year, is the leading multi-sport venue for amateur and professional sports in the nation, accommodating 70 different sports. The 255-acre complex is where youth athletes get to experience the “I’m Going to Disney World” moment.
- Home to AAU National Championships, Pop Warner Super Bowl and National Cheer & Dance Championship, Atlanta Braves Spring Training, as well as Disney-created events, open registration tournaments and training camps.
- The complex has multiple indoor and outdoor competition venues, including Champion Stadium, HP Field House, Jostens Center, Hess Sports Fields, New Balance track & field facility, a newly resurfaced tennis complex and a baseball/softball sportsplex.
- The ESPN brand becomes tangible through a Production Center that provides competition footage to various ESPN media platforms such as ESPN, ESPN.com and ESPN3.com. Also the ESPN Innovation Lab, ESPN’s development hub for 3D telecast technology, where new ground-breaking on-air products are developed and tested utilizing the athletes and events taking place at the complex.
- The complex features a 20-zone audio system, 56 high-definition cameras (42 robotic, 10 handheld and four studio) and 40 high-definition video screens, including 3 jumbo screens, that can capture any competition at the complex and display live action, game highlights, player interviews and ESPN programming.
- A full-service sports-theme eatery called ESPN Wide World of Sports Grill and the PlayStation Pavilion which features 17 PlayStation 3 systems and a collection of just-released sports-themed games and other titles.
- The Welcome Center is an information hub for traveling teams and their families looking for sports event information as well as theme park information, dining reservation and team service. They offer on-site planning services based on the teams’ competition schedule.
Having kids who are very involved in sports (boys in soccer and a girl in gymnastics and cheer) this is definitely a place I want to take them now that I know more about it. I am hoping to find out when their perspective sports are appearing there and let them go watch a competition. I can already feel how excited they will be and they don’t even know yet.
I will leave you with this (until next week), the ESPN Wide World of Sports is definitely a sports lovers paradise. We all know it’s easy to go to the area for Disney parks but you might want to seriously consider a stop in to the WWOS on your next visit! Watch for my other posts and I’ll be sure to share some of the upcoming events over on Two Traveling Moms!
Latest posts by Toni Patton (see all)
- Pray For Your Husband, Why It’s Important To Keep Him Under God’s Covering - July 28, 2016
- Wordless Wednesday: The Frozen Tricycle - July 27, 2016
- Raspberry Mojito Mocktail Recipe, Perfect For Your Summer BBQ - July 20, 2016