Entertaining and Family Cooking alike can get old and tiresome, especially if you are spending hours in the kitchen. Who has the time, not me that’s for sure! Today’s recipes I am sharing with you are simple and quick to make. The Blackened Tomato Salad can be prepared about an hour before dinnertime. So it can sit and let the mixture blend together while you are cooking the Garlic Fried Chicken Breast. And tell me who doesn’t love garlic (or maybe it’s just the Italian in me)? A little bit of a southern meal this is sure to have your guests (or family) wanting seconds.
Blackened Tomato Salad (Prep Time: 20 minutes, Cook: 8 minutes, Other: 1 hour)
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1.5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Garnish: Fresh Basil Leaves
Ready, Set, Cook
- Cut tomatoes into quarters; remove and discard seeds. Pat dry, and brush sides evenly with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Cook tomato quarters in a hot cast-iron skillet over high heat 1.5-2 minutes on each side or until blackened. Remove from skillet and cool, reserving juice from skillet
- Toss tomato with reserved juice, basil and next 4 ingredients (olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper) in a large bowl. Cover and let mixture stand, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. Garnish, if desired. Yields 4 servings
Garlic Fried Chicken Breast (Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook Time: 20 minutes)
- 4 small bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Vegetable oil
Ready, Set, Cook
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and place in a shallow bowl. Whisk together eggs and milk; pour over chicken, turning pieces to coat. Let stand 5 minutes
- Combine flour, garlic powder, and paprika in a zip-top freezer bag. Drop 1 chicken breast at a time into bag, seal, and shake to coat
- Pour 2 inches oil in a large, heavy skillet. Heat to 360?. Add chicken, cook uncovered 20 minutes or until done. Turn as needed. Drain on paper towel. Yields 4 servings.
Perfect for a southern dinner at home, no matter where in the country you live. Add some sort of greens and/or mashed potatoes and you are set in Southern Style. Go get your cook on!!
*Recipe from Southern Living’s Quick & Easy Cook Book