This soup is amazing. We have a friend who made this for us and it was so tasty I had to get the recipe from him. If you are like me, soups are a big part of your fall/winter menu. Sorry for the no photos but I just couldn’t wait to share with you this recipe and I didn’t take photos when we had it but will the next time for sure.
Until then try the soup and let me know how it turned out. I never thought I would like cabbage soup (which on a side note always makes me think of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory) but I was never more happy to be wrong.
|Napa Cabbage Soup||
- 2 Napa Cabbages, chopped *cut off about an inch from bottom of each and discard
- 2 boxes of Chicken Broth (NO MSG & reduced fat are what we use)
- 2-3 packages of Mushrooms (we prefer portobello cut in big pieces)
- Seasame Seed Oil
- Vinegar (we use Heinz Tarragon Vinegar)
- 2 White Onions, chopped
- Asian Red Chili’s w/ Garlic
- 1 Bunch Cilantro, finely chopped
- Lemon Pepper (2-3 shakes)
- 1 small can of “La Costena” green mexican salsa *use only 1/2-3/4 of the can depending on spice wanted*
- 2 bunches Green Onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 large Chicken Breasts, diced
- Sautee white onions with olive oil in stock pot.
- When lightly browned, add green onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
- Cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Add chicken brother to about 1/2 way full
- Add the napa cabbage. If pot is full before all is added wait until the cabbage shrinks to add more.
- Fill pot with more chicken broth until it covers cabbage.
- Cook on high until it comes close to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- In frying pan, add olive oil AND sesame see oil. Let heat up.
- Add chicken and cook on medium heat, adding 2 tbsp of red chili peppers.
- Continue cooking until chicken is cooked through.
- Add everything from fry pan into soup. Mix well, cover, and cook on low for about 20 minutes.
- Eat & Enjoy!
Cooking times are guessed because I didn’t actually time when it was made.
The process is lengthy in preparation and ingredient list is long but it’s so tasty, you’ll forget all about that with the first bite.