With the Super Bowl looming, people all over are headed out to buy new televisions…and usually a flat screen tv at that. We got one last Christmas and have enjoyed watching everything from our favorite movies to, of course, the Super Bowl on it. One of the things we made sure of when we first bought our flat screen is that we had the means to secure it. Right now it’s on a mounted TV stand but I am hoping to upgrade that to a SANUS wall mount. The statics have made me make that a priority this year. The last thing I want when we are having a gathering is an accident to happen, which means I have to do my part to make sure everything is secure so the fun can begin.
Did you know in 2012 the CPSC revealed a child is killed every THREE weeks from TV instability and that another estimated 18,900 people head to the ER every year due to TV tipping injuries. That is an astounding number and I think so many of those could be prevented if we all made sure to secure our televisions properly. Here are a few other findings to keep in mind:
- 215 deaths due to tipping TVs were reported from 2000-2011, 96% of which were children under 10 years old.
- 29 deaths were reported from tipping TVs in 2011
- Approximately 106,800 ER visits happened from TV tip-overs in 2006-2011
- 47% of TV tip-over related injuries happen to children under the age of 5
- Tip-over related injuries increased by 31% in the last 10 years
With only 25% of adults taking action to secure their TVs to a wall that number could rise and I, for one, don’t want that happening. It doesn’t matter if you are having a quiet night in or a viewing party, there is always a chance of tip-over if you don’t properly secure your flat screen. Mounting your flat screen is the most safe and secure way to avoid those TV tip-over related injuries and/or deaths. Knowing I could be saving a life is all the incentive I need to make sure our flat screen is secured. Take the time to learn a little more by visiting www.tvsafety.org, TVS
*Enter using rafflecopter form below
**I wrote this post while participating in a blog tour conducted by Burst Media on behalf of Sanus TV Safety. I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program, but my opinions are my own.**
Latest posts by Toni Patton (see all)
- What’s In Your Sports Bag? Our Spring Sport Must Haves! - February 12, 2016
- 2 Valentine’s Day Looks To Fit Your Date Night Style - February 11, 2016
- Galentine’s Day Party Planning Tips - February 10, 2016