The Muppet Christmas Carol is celebrating it’s 20th anniversary!
A Christmas Carol is one of those stories we have probably seen a version of, at the movies or on television. Now you can re-see it performed by those love-able, silly characters we know as The Muppets. In honor of it’s 20th Anniversary, Disney has re-released the The Muppet Christmas Carol on DVD and Blu-ray. This fun retelling of Charles Dickens’ holiday classic hit shelves November 6, 2012.
The muppets, as always, bring hilarity and a bit of a twist to this classic tale. With favorite characters such as Gonzo, Kermit, Miss Piggy, and so many other familiar faces this is one version, of this holiday story, I always loved growing up. With my daughter recently becoming a fan of The Muppets I was so excited to sit down with her, and the rest of my family, to enjoy The Muppet Christmas Carol.
And now, a word from Gonzo:
Greetings, holiday movie fans and lovers of culture, I am Gonzo … or perhaps better known to fans of this classic motion picture as literary legend Charles Dickens. Are you ready to laugh, cry, sing, frolic, cavort and enjoy yourself beyond belief!? Well, you’re in luck, because this 20th Anniversary Edition of Disney’s “The Muppet Christmas Carol” is guaranteed to put you in the holiday spirit that will stay with you forever—or at least until your Aunt Edna starts complaining that nobody is eating the fruitcake she brought … again!
Available for the first time ever on Blu-ray with high definition sound and picture, so you can enjoy even more of my blue-ness, not to mention the incredible spectacle of Kermit the Frog as Bob Cratchit, Miss Piggy as Emily Cratchit, Academy Award® winner Michael Caine (Best Supporting Actor, 1999, “The Cider House Rules”) as Scrooge, wonderful songs by Oscar® winner Paul Williams (Best Original Song, 1976, “Evergreen” from “A Star Is Born”) and, of course, my pal Rizzo the Rat as … well, Rizzo the Rat.
I, of course, having seen it in the past loved it just as much as I did back then. Even better was that my daughter laughed and giggled the whole movie through. One of my favorite characters in the movie, from a parent perspective, was Rizzo the Rat who makes sure to warn Gonzo when something is getting to scary. Which can be a great cue for parents, to fast forward, if they think something like the ghost of Christmas future (Grim Reaper) might be a little to scary for their kids. My daughter, who is 7, was fine though.
Check out the bonus features:
- Disney Intermission—An all-new bonus feature. When the film is paused, fans can watch and “cluck-a-long” to five classic holiday-themed songs performed by the Muppets Chickens and chums.
- Audio Commentary—All-new audio commentary with fan-favorite characters, Kermit, Rizzo, Gonzo, and more, all reflecting on their experience making “The Muppet Christmas Carol.”
- Frogs, Pigs and Humbug: Unwrapping a New Holiday Classic. A Behind the Scenes Look—Hosted by director Brian Henson, Gonzo and Rizzo fans go behind-the-scenes of the making of “The Muppet Christmas Carol.”
- Blooper Reel: “On the Set” Bloopers from the set of the film.
- Pepe Profiles Gonzo: “Portrait of the Artist as a Young Weirdo”—A Special look at the man, the myth, the legend the Great Gonzo, hosted by the one and only Pepe the King Prawn.
- Christmas Around the World—Gonzo and Rizzo take a look at how Christmas is celebrated all over the planet.
With songs, funny moments, and of course bonus features, The Muppet Christmas Carol 20th Anniversary Edition is the perfect addition to our holiday movie collection. We enjoyed and will continue to enjoy The Muppets in The Muppet Christmas Carol this holiday season and years to come. After all, who doesn’t need a little more of The Muppets in their lives.
Disclaimer: I was provided a promotional copy of this DVD to facilitate my review, no compensation was received and all opinions are 100% my own.