It’s spring time here in Florida, though to be honest we kind of went straight from spring to spring. Our fall/winter wasn’t much of a season this year. No matter, I love spring and summer! Aside from the jump in electricity bill spring/summer are my favorite seasons. I was raised in the south, near a beach where I spent 90% of my time (outside of school/work) at. This season is time for cooking out and of course sweet tea. If you live in the south and don’t have a pitcher of sweet tea in your fridge 99% of the time we need to have a little talk. It’s pretty much a right of passage to know how to make perfect sweet tea if you are in the south!
Today I want to share with you how I make sweet tea so you can add that much-needed, tasty, decoration to your fridge. When I say we drink sweet tea all the time I am not lying. I drink it when I get up, I drink it with my meals, I drink it all day. Of course it means a lot more brushing of my teeth but I will take the extra work for that delicious drink in the south. So here is how I make sweet tea:
- 2 Lipton Family Size Tea Bags, or generic equivalent (we use decaf)
- 1.5 cups sugar
- Add teabags into a 2 qt pot and fill with cold water
- Put pot on stovetop and turn to high, cook just until boiling, remove from heat.
- Let sit 5 minutes
- Pour sugar into 1 gallon tea pitcher
- Add tea to sugar (not tea bags), stir until sugar is dissolved
- Fill with cold water until almost to the top, stir.
- Serve in a glass full of ice
So there you have it, the perfect sweet tea…according to me. Well and my family, I always get complimented on it when someone has a glass. Be careful not to forget it when boiling or you risk busting your tea bag and it’s not fun to have those little pieces of tea in your drink. Oh and you need to use real sugar, none of that fake stuff! One other little tip, if you need to make a gallon of unsweet (gasp) make sure you make sugar-water to sweeten it, the fake stuff just doesn’t work right. Being raised in the south you have to perfect your sweet tea so perfect I have! Enjoy!
Latest posts by Toni Patton (see all)
- Veggie Tales: Celery Night Fever, First Look! - July 23, 2014
- Big Kahuna’s Water Park Review *2 Ticket FLASH Giveaway* - July 18, 2014
- Disney’s Planes: Fire and Rescue In Theaters TODAY! #FireandRescueEvent - July 18, 2014