I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting (#MC) for MedImmune Specialty Care. I received a promotional item as a thank you for participating
There are very few things worse than coming down with the cold and flu, especially during the busy holiday season when time will be spent with friends and family. This holiday season here are a few tips we follow to avoid getting sick!
- Get a flu shot. If you are eligible (agewise, healthwise, etc) to get a flu shot, then head to your local doctor and get one. It’s definitely the first thing on the list for most people. I know not everyone is comfortable getting one but if you are one who is, head out now and get it.
- Wash, Wash, Wash. It’s not just doctors, before surgery who need to scrub up. Germ free hands are a big part of flu prevention. If you can’t get to soap and water keep hand sanitizer on hand for on the go disinfecting.
- Rest. Yes, sleep plays an important part of flu prevention. Your body needs to be on the up and up to have those antibodies to fight sickness, so make sure you are getting enough sleep. *this is one I need to work on desperately*
- Hydrate. Another necessity is making sure you are getting enough fluids, preferably water, to keep your body in prime fighting condition.
- Don’t spread it. If you cough or sneeze, you are passing around germs. Keep tissues handy so you can sneeze/cough into those and trash them so the germs go where they need to go!
Of course if you think you have the flu, please be sure to head to your doctor to get diagnosed and then stay home at least 24 hours AFTER your fever is gone. For more tips check out this e-booklet A Parent’s Guide to Flu Season. Flu season is actually EIGHT months of the year so we want to make sure we take every pre-caution to avoid it, because it’s definitely not fun being sick and it’s even less fun if you have to miss time with family and friends because of it.
What are some tips you have for flu/cold prevention?
Latest posts by Toni Patton (see all)
- 4 ‘Skinny’ Salsa Recipes For Your Cinco De Mayo Celebration - May 3, 2016
- What I Want My Kids To Know About Sex - May 2, 2016
- Netflix Helps Brings Siblings Together - April 30, 2016